Today was the brew day for an India Red Ale. Things went mostly according to plan, though the final volume was a bit lower than intended and the OG came out a few points below the target OG.

This is the first beer I have made a yeast starter for and it is also the first time using my new fermentation chamber.

Fermentables:

4oz Chocolate Malt
10.1oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
10.1 Caramunich
9lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US

Hops:

2oz Centennial (60min)
2oz Amarillo (0min)
2oz Centennial (0min)
1oz Amarillo (dry hop 7 days)
1oz Centennial (dry hop 7 days)

Yeast:

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Others:

0.5 tsp Yeast nutrient (15min)
1 Whirlfloc tablet (15min)

OG: 1.041
Target FG: 1.012

Based on the India Red Ale by Mike at the Mad Fermentationist.

Update 12/2/2014

Primary fermentation appears to be complete and the SG is now down to 1.009. It has a strong bitterness to it, but I think in a good way. Having never tasted an India Red Ale before, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

2014-12-02 13.59.45

 

Update 12/23/2014

I opened the second bottle tonight and was pretty pleased with the results. It had a nice amount of carbonation and poured beautifully. There was a bit of strange flavor, however, that I was unable to place. It wasn’t necessarily unpleasant, I’m just not sure what it was. I’ll be curious to see how it changes over the next couple of months.

2014-12-23 16.49.43